Re: HYB: moldy seeds

From: z88keys@mindspring.com (L.Zurbrigg)

>From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
>
>Every now and then I harvest a seed pod and find a few of the seeds are
>covered in a light moldy fuzz.  Is that just an inevitability in my humid
>climate?  Should the seeds still be viable?
>
>Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
>Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6
>member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
>primary interests: ABs, REBs, LAs, Native SPEC and SPEC-X hybrids
>(my gardening URL:  http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html)
Dennis: Tell   Muhlstein  used to say that the mold on the seeds did not
matter. I have made no tests to prove it one way or the other. After our
four days of rain there were a few opening pods that had considerable mold
in them. At times I have used powders to kill the mold, but now I just let
it go. Maybe a light brush with a hair dryer to soak up excess moisture
might help. I'll be anxious to hear what others say. Lloyd Z in Durham NC

Books, music, auctions, and more. Amazon.com!