OT: Rare plants

From: Janet Yang <jyang1@home.com>

    When I started gardening a few years ago, I wanted
something other than the ubiquitous
daylily/hosta/pachysandra garden. By chance I picked up
"Encyclopedia of Perennials" by Christopher Woods and tried
to buy every plant that he praised.
    Some plants did well, but others....I don't want to tell
you how many of those plants didn't make it. "Been there;
killed that." That's when I realized that the reason
*everybody* here plants daylilies, hostas, and pachysandra
is because they *work* in this shady, clayey, zone 6
environment.
    I should have gone back to the tried-and-true plants
favored by my neighbors, but it was too late. One of the
nurseries, Klehm, had sent a free plant with my order: Iris
'Augury' by Steve Varden. I'd never seen an iris cultivar up
close, but in subtlety and beauty this one beat ordinary
SIberian irises all to bits. I was hooked.
    Hello, my name is Janet, and I'm a plant collector.

Janet

P.S. What do you think of Klehm Nursery's irises?

The planet's eCenter for health & well-being. PlanetRX.