Re: OT: Rare plants

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

>Not every garden-worthy plant can be "in".
>I hope none of these places have been mentioned on Martha Stewart's >show.
>I try to grow plants that aren't the same as every other garden >in the
>neighborhood, and it's annoying when she "discovers" a nursery >or a plant
>that I've cherished for years.

I must be gardening in a different world to you. The word 'in' just does not
relate to gardening, in my books. You grow what you like, and share the joy
of these plants with neighbors and friends. I love it when the gardening
shows mention my favourite plants, as there is some chance to learn more
about them. I don't beleive in keeping things 'rare' just so I can have
something few others have.
Rare to my way of thinking, is something very difficult to come by, because
there are relatively few plants in the world, or country.
Little grown plants may be so, because they are hard to come by, hard to
grow, people just don't want them, or they could just do with a darn good
publicity campaign.
People round my neck of the woods mostly still think TB's are 'flags' and
grow only the older types, in unkempt, starving clumps which rarely bloom.
PCI's are little known as they don't transplant well and are better grown
from seed. Nurseries seldom carry them round here, and those I have seen are
not very exciting.
There are nurseries in Australia that claim to have rare and unusual plants,
but most catalogues I have read, have nothing very unusual to offer. I think
the claim of 'rare' is just to make their plants more desirable to those of
a covetous nature.
My 2 penneth anyway, Jan Clark