Re: OT: Rare plants

From: Iarejan@aol.com

In a message dated 7/17/99 5:54:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Irisborer@aol.com writes:

<< And rare is often a substitute for 'unusual' or 'not commonly available'.
 Here in Buffalo, many things are considered 'rare', that are ho-hum for many
 plant folks.  The variety of heucheras that's out there, for one example.
 People here are still getting disappointed over PALACE PURPLE.  So when we
 have our plant sale.....we tell our donors not to be put off by the 'rare'
 part......

Speaking of rare and Heucheras....
      I saw a picture of one called "Snowstorm" that was really lovely: green
with lavish splashes of white.    I looked all over the internet for sources.
  I finally tracked it down at a nursery in of all places, New Jersey, near
where I grew up.    What stopped me from getting it?    $7 per plant and
another $7 for postage...ouch!!!
I might still go for it one day, but right now the iris are taking up the
plant budget!!
'
Janet Natale
zone 8 of SC

The planet's eCenter for health & well-being. PlanetRX.