Re: OT: Rare plants

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

HIPSource@aol.com wrote:
> From: HIPSource@aol.com
> "Better an ordinary but healthy plant than a rarer sort pining away." Mrs.
> Horatio Gates Lloyd, early AIS Director, and plantswoman extraordinare.
> Anner Whitehead
> HIPSource@aol.com

Absolutely, but you don't know what will pine away until you try.
(Except for Norwegian Blues, ahich always are pining for the fjords

Siberians tend to fail in a big way in the desert I live in, but I still
want to try Lake Keuka. I haven't been so taken with an iris in years.

Once in a while there are thrivers. Several years ago I bought three
sets of Schreiners' liliput collection (7 cultivars each). From 18 of
the plants I got a total of one bloom. From the 3 plants of Ditto I got
prebloom, bloom, and rebloom. Thank you, genetics, for allowing MDBs to
have a chance in my climate, and thank you Ben Hager for showing the

Gerry, who has seen an early copy of the July Bulletin, and appreciates
the cover photo of a Hager iris.

Congratulations MilitaryEFM. Our latest ONElist of the week.
How is ONElist changing YOUR life? Visit our homepage and let us know!