Re: SDB: What Again

From: GWhite & LRader <bentfork@navix.net>

Lynn Lamb wrote:

>  I also purchased DUSKY
> CHALLENGER and BEFORE THE STORM, plus one MTB called WHAT AGAIN...has anyone
> experience with this tiny one?  I saw a picture of it and if I remember
> correctly, it has yellow standards and light blue falls.

Lynn,

WHAT AGAIN is as you mentioned later, an SDB and this little iris was hybridized
by Allan Ensminger in Lincoln, Nebraska.  According to Allan, when he was
growing it as a seedling, it would rebloom sometimes in the summer and sometimes
in the fall (as he put it - "anytime it wanted to") and he found himself saying
"What? Again?", so that's how it got its name.  And if you know Allan, that is
typical of his unique names for many of his unique irises.  Around here he has
been called our "Wizard of Odds" because of all the interesting creations that
he has introduced (as well as giving them unusual names).

Back to WHAT AGAIN, I grow this iris and it does rebloom periodically here in
Lincoln - usually at least once in the summer and again sometimes in the fall.
I can't really vouch for elsewhere, though.  This iris as you mentioned, has
violet falls and yellowish standards -- and I'm sure will make a pleasant
addition to your garden.  It is a very good grower and has foliage that stays
nice and green even when others around it have leaf spot.  Allan told me that
WHAT AGAIN won the out of region award at the 1993 Median Spree (in Oklahoma, I
think) and that it was doing well in all of the gardens where it was growing
that year.

Gary White,  Lincoln Nebraska
in the lazy hazy days of summer here on the Great Plains, where the weeds are
growing wonderfully well and I'm having trouble keeping up.  Help!  Help! Anyone
with a hoe that needs exercise out there?

http://www.onelist.com