Re: OT: Rare plants

From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>

At 08:24 AM 7/16/99 -0400, you wrote:
>From: Janet Yang <jyang1@home.com>
>    When I started gardening a few years ago, I wanted
>something other than the ubiquitous
>daylily/hosta/pachysandra garden. By chance I picked up
>"Encyclopedia of Perennials" by Christopher Woods and tried
>to buy every plant that he praised.
>    Some plants did well, but others....I don't want to tell
>you how many of those plants didn't make it. "Been there;
>killed that." That's when I realized that the reason
>*everybody* here plants daylilies, hostas, and pachysandra
>is because they *work* in this shady, clayey, zone 6
>    I should have gone back to the tried-and-true plants
>favored by my neighbors, but it was too late. One of the
>nurseries, Klehm, had sent a free plant with my order: Iris
>'Augury' by Steve Varden. I'd never seen an iris cultivar up
>close, but in subtlety and beauty this one beat ordinary
>SIberian irises all to bits. I was hooked.
>    Hello, my name is Janet, and I'm a plant collector.
>P.S. What do you think of Klehm Nursery's irises?
>The planet's eCenter for health & well-being. PlanetRX.
>Janet.......I can understand how you were hooked by one of Steve Varner's
Siberians. I grow all I can get my hands on of his.  Try DANCE BALLERINA
DANCE and KING OF KINGS.  Steve in getting along in years now, but still
daubing pollen and trying to teach the rest of us in Region 9 (Illinois)
the right way to do it.  We're very proud of Steve and his accomplishments
in both beardless and bearded iris as well as day lilies.  My favorite of
his daylilies is WIDE LOAD.  Ann Henson

The planet's eCenter for health & well-being. PlanetRX.