CULT: Bloom Sequence 1999 (long)

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

Hi Talk-ers!

As the last flower of this year's "Main Season" iris bloom in my garden
folded yesterday and no rebloom stalks have yet put in an appearance, it
seems an appropriate time to take stock of my 1999 iris bloom season. I am
reporting basically in the format that was agreed on for the Bloom Sequence
Project earlier this year. For each of the classes of iris that I grow, I
am giving the date that the first cultivar and last cultivar to bloom
opened their first flower and the date that the last flower in bloom folded
along with the number of cultivars in that class that bloomed for me in
1999. I have also listed the date that the first flower opened on any of
the BSP Indicators that bloomed for me this year.

Dwarf Bulbous: 1st cv open- 3/12  last cv open- 3/26  last flwr- 4/18  #
cvs- 4
MDB: 1st cv open- 4/20  last cv open- 4/30  last flwr- 5/8  # cvs- 2
     ALPINE LAKE: 4/20
SDB: 1st cv open- 5/8  last cv open- 5/28  last flwr- 6/9  # cvs- 12
     ORANGE TIGER: 5/19
IB: 1st cv open- 5/19  last cv open- 6/3  last flwr- 6/21  # cvs- 39
     DARK WATERS: 5/22
     LEMON POP: 5/22
     MAUI MOONLIGHT: 5/24
     SMITTEN KITTEN: 6/3
MTB: 1st cv open- 5/21  last cv open- 6/9  last flwr- 6/25  #cvs- 9
     ABRIDGED VERSION: 5/24
     ROSEMARY'S DREAM: 5/22
BB: 1st cv open- 5/28  last cv open- 6/10  last flwr- 6/19  #cvs- 3
TB: 1st cv open- 5/28  last cv open- 6/21  last flwr- 7/3  #cvs- 202
     DUSKY CHALLENGER: 6/5
     HONKY TONK BLUES: 6/12
     LEMON MIST: 6/6
     SILVERADO: 6/7
AB: 1st cv open- 5/24  last cv open- 6/7  last flwr- 6/21  # cvs- 12
     BOLD SENTRY: 5/24
     SERAPH'S JEWEL: 5/24
SIB: 1st cv open- 5/28  last cv open- 6/18  last flwr- 7/4  # cvs- 17
     BUTTER & SUGAR: 6/12
     PINK HAZE: 6/2
     CAESAR'S BROTHER: 6/10
SPU: 1st cv open- 6/23  last cv open- 6/30  last flwr- 7/14  # cvs- 3
JI: 1st cv open- 7/7  last cv open- N/A  last flwr- 7/17  # cvs- 1

To summarize the weather here from winter through bloom season, we had a
mild (for us) winter with minimum temperature of 0 degrees F, normal
precipitation, and more frequent than usual alternate periods of freezing
and thawing. The middle three weeks of March were unusually warm and dry
(average temperature for the month was 10 degres F above normal). The rest
of the spring was cool (April average temperature 8 degrees F below normal)
and wet with overnight temperatures down to the lower 20's frequent through
the first week of May. The weather dried out and warmed up rapidly after
the 8th of June. There has been one instance of measuable precipitation
since that date (on July 14). Daytime temperatures have been mostly in the
80's with a few days in the low to mid-90's. There was considerable damage
to the irises from the repeated nighttime freezes following that warm spell
in March. Medians were much more severely affected than TBs, but overall I
would rate the '99  bloom season as slightly below average in both quantity
and quality of bloom.

I have received bloom season reports from only a few of the people who
indicated an interest in the Bloom season Project. If you have collected
information for the BSP, but have not yet forwarded it to me, please do so
at your earliest convenience and I will collate and summarize it and make
the results available to all who may be interested.

Happy Irising!

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

What is "FRIENDS & FAMILY?"
http://www.onelist.com
It's a new program at ONElist.  See homepage for details.