HYB:moldy seeds-revisited

From: StorYlade@aol.com

After a few spilled seed, I developed a routine for curing the seed. I placed
newly harvested seed into envelopes, which I promptly sealed.  The cross and
the number of seed was written on the envelope, and the envelope was placed
in a letter rack.  The envelope was given the number from the seedling field
book for reference.

It seems that life is full of tradeoffs.  In guaranteeing the security of the
seed, I created an environment which increased the mold.  The seed would
often become encased in a glob of mold, dampen the envelope and make a nasty
mess.  I'd been told (or read) that mold had no detrimental effect on the
seed so I wasn't concerned about losing them, but I hated that mess.  I found
shaking the envelopes each day, sometimes twice, kept the 'glob' broken loose
and decreased the time needed to cure/dry the seed, effectively eliminating
the mold in the process.  Months later the envelopes would be opened to
reveal clean, healthy, and mold free seed.

Betty in Bowling Green, KY where bird dropping glisten with a metallic sheen.