Re: OT: blue eyed grass

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>    I received some plants this spring supposedly called "mini  bellum
>iris".  I think another name may be "blue eyed grass"(?).   Noticed the
>term blue eyed grass in a recent post and wondered if anyone could  tell
>me any more about it? These are very very tiny,  maybe 1/4 inch  diameter,
>about 4-5 inches tall.  Thanks.   Char Randall charandmike@msn.com

Sisyrhinchium bellum, or Blue-eyed Grass, is a common wildflower over much
of eastern North America.  There are lots of other species as well, and
many from other parts of the world.  This species and most others bloom in
mid-spring at a height of about 8-10", with many small bright blue flowers.
They grow best in moist soil in full sun, and if they like the spot, will
spread rapidly by seed (they can become weedy).  Individual clumps and
plants are not very long-lived, so some seedlings should be allowed to grow
up to replace old plants--or frequent division of clumps can be used to
rejuvenate them.

They belong the family Iridaceae but are not, strictly speaking, irises.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
(804)223-6172
FAX (804)223-6374
email<bills@hsc.edu>

Campaign 2000 is here!
http://www.onelist.com
Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist.  See our homepage.