Re: OT: Please change subject headings

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/19/99 4:50:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tyerman@hotmail.com writes:

< At no time did I say there shouldn't be OT messages (I presume from Anner's
 last comment that that is what she inferred)>>

Anner inferred only that you seemed to be asking others to go to extra
lengths toward the unrealistic goal of not disappointing anyone who opens a
post, regardless of their interests, or how much time they have to
"contribute".

<<  Obviously suggestions are not welcome. >>

Can't speak for anyone else, but suggestions are fine by me, provided one
bears in mind that, within the rules of the list, there is only one person's
posts you can expect to control, and that is your own. The preferred STYLE of
subject lines is simple and most people are considerate enough to use it, but
the only way any one can impact the CONTENT of the list is to post things in
hope of eliciting responses from others with similar interests or
experiences. I don't consider people's posts a consumer product that one
complains about if they fail to satisfy.

So we had a little clearly marked OT riff arise in slow iris season when some
folks are getting rebloom but many of us are out digging the things in the
heat and shipping or planting new ones or fighting spot or borers or
whatever. Many people are busy and tired and doing the iris dirty work now,
but we like to keep in touch with our friends, so a little conversation
erupts. Big deal.

Linda has evoked the silent ones for their contributions. Me, I figure they
will contribute if and when the spirit moves them regardless of what anyone
says or doesn't say. But I have pressing things to get done and, as you say,
one's time is finite, and one does not want to waste it.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

How has ONElist changed your life?
Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com