Re: HYB: iris borer in seed pods

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
>> From: Dennis Kramb
>> Well, well, well, guess what I found in a seed pod this evening?  A very
>> unwelcomed visitor indeed!  A small caterpillar/worm/critter, which I am
>> guessing to be an iris borer larvae, had set up residence in a seed pod.
>I think it is rather unlikely that the worm (larva) in your seed pod is an
>iris borer. There are other insects that specialize in attacking seed pods
>and developing seeds. Check the Archives for details.

Well, there were two reasons that I thought it was borer.

#1)  It looked just like a miniature version of the borer I killed last month.

#2)  It was happily munching less than 3 ft. away from where I found that
borer last month.

On the other hand, it didn't make sense to me that it would be so small
this late in the season.  Either way, I'm not too worried....he didn't eat
to much....and most of my seed pods have been collected so there's nothing
to worry about anymore.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
See homepage for details on ONElist's new "FRIENDS & FAMILY" program.