Re: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids

From: "Jan Clark" <janclarx@hotmail.com>

> >1) This is a cross that has been tried many times without success,
>between two iris species that are not very closely related to each other.
>It seems very unlikely that suddenly such a cross should produce abundant
>seed and that the progeny should themselves be very fertile.

I understand that the case was the same for crosses between Belamcanda
chinensis and Iris dichotoma. The progeny of this cross (Pardancanda X
Norrisii) breed like rabbits. I have obtained 80% fertility from my seeds.

> >2) The seedlings look like EITHER sibericas OR ensatas; none that I have
>seen pictures of show combined traits or look intermediate between the

I have been told that the original Pardancanda's looked more like I.
dichotoma, but later offspring are more like Belamcanda. I don't know if
this has been documented.

> >3) There have been no chromosome counts or RFLP examinations of the
> >seedlings to show the presence of genetic material from two different

I believe that some work has been done on the seedlings. Christy can best
answer this for us.

> >So, I remain skeptical.  It COULD be, but I don't think it very likely.

There are skeptics who believe man never did set foot on the moon. What real
proof do we have?

>One thing those of you growing these seedlings could try would be to >make
>many crosses between the siberica-like and ensata-like >seedlings, with the
>appropriate precautions against >self-fertilization.  If you get some seed,
>that would be positive >evidence.  If this seed produced either
>intermediates or both types >from the same pod, that would be even more
>convincing.  If the seed >produced only the type of the pod parent, you
>would be back to square >one.
>Unless such crosses are made under strict conditions, and each seed kept
>track of individually, I will remain a non-believer!

Yes, I agree, and I certainly intend to go down this path. Six of Christy's
second generation seedlings seem to have survived the winter here in
Australia, and more have been planted. It will be a couple of years until
they are ready to be tested in this way.
I hope others are planning on doing this experimental work. I also intend
trying to cross my Candy lilies back to my Belamcanda.
But, even if I am successful, who will believe me?

Cheers, Jan Clark
One small step for Jan, one giant leap for iriskind.

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
See homepage for details, including our weekly drawing!