Re: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>I understand that the case was the same for crosses between Belamcanda
>chinensis and Iris dichotoma. The progeny of this cross (Pardancanda X
>Norrisii) breed like rabbits. I have obtained 80% fertility from my seeds.

Correct.  But the original cross remains difficult to make, and the progeny
are intermediate in many respects.

>I have been told that the original Pardancanda's looked more like I.
>dichotoma, but later offspring are more like Belamcanda. I don't know if
>this has been documented.

Crossing among many generations of Pardancandas has gradually eliminated
much of the Pardanthopsis genetic information, probably because of
unintended selection for vigor and for yellow, orange or red colors.

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Weekly drawing is held each Friday.  See homepage for details!