RE: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids again

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From:	Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu

>>>I hope that before these plants become widely distributed or introduced
to commerce as hybrids, some form of convincing evidence for their ancestry
can be produced.<<

FYI, the plants have not been distributed widely. They've been given to a
few people who expressed an interest in trialing and whose growing
conditions vary enough to give needed information on performance beyond our
slightly acid soil and zone 4b conditions.

>>One thing those of you growing these seedlings could try would be to make
many crosses between the siberica-like and ensata-like seedlings, with the
appropriate precautions against self-fertilization.  If you get some seed,
that would be positive evidence.<<

Workin' on it. Those with plants or seeds have been encouraged to cross the
plants to their visual opposites, whether they use another seedling or a

Seed has resulted from controlled crosses of JI types and registered
Siberians. Seed has also resulted from Sib types and the one registered JI
which bloomed before the gophers ate it (Rose Queen).

 >>Unless such crosses are made under strict conditions, and each seed kept
track of individually, I will remain a non-believer!<<

Each seed?! :)

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA

ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
See homepage for details, including our weekly drawing!