RE: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

From:  John Montgomery

When it has been tested, then we shall not
"believe", but rather we will know with some degree of certainty, whether
or not the cross has been made.

Please realize that no one's credibility is being attacked by another.

I almost had a bout of good judgement and considered not getting into this.
Thankfully, it passed.

I've never had a problem with the cross being questioned. Since I've come
to understand that this cross is unusual and that a number of factors may
be at work here, I scrutinize each plant and ask those raising them to do
the same.

Most of the doubts others have expressed and their suggestions for testing
have led to some interesting sidelines in crossing techniques and plant
identification. As much as I may argue a point if I believe I'm right, I DO
listen and I've learned considerably over the past two years.

Where I become uneasy is when remarks are made to the effect that I'm
"confused" about what I say I did or what I noticed regarding a plant. A
garden notebook has been standard practice since the first shovel of soil
was turned here over 13 years ago. Ink doesn't get confused.

Where I take offense is when it's hinted that I'm a liar or a fraud. I will
exaggerate, but I try to limit this to the size of our mosquitoes, the
sinister leanings of my zucchini, and the lack of intelligence in my dog.

I honestly don't understand what gain could be had from deception or how
anything of the sort would work. Especially when the plants have been given
away and the only things asked are that information is shared and none are
released without permission and a clear indication they are each hybrid.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.  See homepage.