RE: HYB: Pardancanda Norrisii (was JI X SIB hybrids)

From: "J.F. Hensler" <hensler@povn.com>

----------
From:  Jan Clark

I have been told that the original Pardancanda's looked more like I.
dichotoma, but later offspring are more like Belamcanda. I don't know if
this has been documented. <<<

Jan,

The Pardancandas have been a fascination ever since I saw the first photo.
I'd wondered for some time what possessed Sam Norris to try such a cross so
I asked him....

Chromosome counts were never a consideration. What he'd noticed were
similarities between I. dicotoma and Belamcanda chinensis and his feeling
was that they may have a common ancestor.

The first 9 years there was nothing to show for his work. That 10th year a
few things were different.... the dicotoma was showing stress and he had
acquired superior hybrids of B. chinensis. This cross resulted in seeds.

Sam said he thought the seedlings were something new but wasn't sure so
dragged them off to a friend at a nearby botanical garden for his
assessment. It's likely the result of continued breeding and reselecting
for particular traits that have given the Pardancandas their homogenized
appearance.

With the widespread interest in growing these unusual hybrids, there
doesn't seem to be much real information out there on how they came about.
As a matter of fact, with Park Seed claiming to have developed the plants,
there's a lot of misinformation. If any enterprising writers are lurking
out there, this would be a good subject for an article.

Christy Hensler
Newport, WA z4b
THE ROCK GARDEN
http://www.povn.com/rock/

Congratulations SAYNO2DRUGS. Our latest ONElist of the week.
http://www.onelist.com
How is ONElist changing YOUR life? Visit our homepage and let us know!