RE: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids

From: Bill Shear <BILLS@hsc.edu>

>Where I become uneasy is when remarks are made to the effect that I'm
>"confused" about what I say I did or what I noticed regarding a plant. A
>garden notebook has been standard practice since the first shovel of soil
>was turned here over 13 years ago. Ink doesn't get confused.
>Where I take offense is when it's hinted that I'm a liar or a fraud. I will
>exaggerate, but I try to limit this to the size of our mosquitoes, the
>sinister leanings of my zucchini, and the lack of intelligence in my dog.
>I honestly don't understand what gain could be had from deception or how
>anything of the sort would work. Especially when the plants have been given
>away and the only things asked are that information is shared and none are
>released without permission and a clear indication they are each hybrid.

No accusations of deception or fraud have been floated on this list or
elsewhere else by me or by anyone known to me.

As John says, scientists are trained to be skeptical.  Christy's having
been careful making the original cross supports her case, as does the count
of 26 chromosomes from one of the plants (which should be independently
verified, by the way--and this is not any kind of accusation, just standard
scientific proceedure).

Bill Shear
Department of Biology
Hampden-Sydney College
Hampden-Sydney VA 23943
FAX (804)223-6374

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
Weekly drawing is held each Friday.  See homepage for details!