RE: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids again

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	I am neither a scientist or a successful hybridizer so I was
	going to sit on the sidelines on this one but....I grow primarily
	JIs and SIs and I am rightly interested in this subject.

	Christy and I have had numerous and sometimes lengthy email
	conversations re this subject over the past two years. I have
	not planted any of the seeds that were graciously offered by
	Christy. I agree primarily with John Montgomery's views as
	stated in this forum. BTW, this is no surprise to Christy. ;)

	John Montgomery wrote:

>When it has been tested, then we shall not "believe", but rather
>we will know with some degree of certainty, whether or not the
>cross has been made.

	I "believe" Christy is doing this and I know she is an experienced
	plant hybridizer...however, I still wish the initial planned
	crosses would have been made with certified (my term for
	an AIS registered iris) Siberians and Japanese irises. NOT just
	done with those who "looked like" Siberian types and Japanese
	type irises. I know 'Rose Queen' was used but that is a weird
	registration of a Japanese iris. It was registered in 1915 as
	an I. laevigata  by Lilley. It is a 3 fall (single) and has the
	small appearance of a species...it is widely grown as a JI and
	the Society for Japanese Irises re-registered in 1989.

	I wish Christy the best and hopefully she will get some seed
	pods and germination on this wide cross. Until registered irises
	are used extensively on these trials, I think they probably look
	lovely as an accent plant in the gardens of those who are growing
	them. They do look like either SIs or JIs to me as well..but I
	have not seen them 'in person'.

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: