Re: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids again

From: HIPSource@aol.com

In a message dated 7/21/99 3:12:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
e_galla@moose.ncia.net writes:

<<  I still wish the initial planned crosses would have been made with
certified (my term for an AIS registered iris) Siberians and Japanese irises.
NOT just done with those who "looked like" Siberian types and Japanese type
irises. I know 'Rose Queen' was used but that is a weird registration of a
Japanese iris. It was registered in 1915 as an I. laevigata  by Lilley. It is
a 3 fall (single) and has the small appearance of a species...it is widely
grown as a JI and the Society for Japanese Irises re-registered in 1989. >>

On the other hand, I, who wish it clearly understood that I don't know
diddlysquat about genetics and have no opinion about these irises under
consideration, would have thought the best initial cross would have been made
with species clones on both sides. As I understand it, both I. siberica and
I. sanguinea are involved in modern SIBs and that seems to muddy the waters
right off the bat.

Anent ROSE QUEEN: that it is clearly a JI has been asserted with great vigor
in this forum by Clarence Mahan, and I will add that the foliage does not
resemble that of an I. laevigata clone. The terms I. laevigata  and I.
kaempferi (now I. ensata)  were used with a notable lack of precision in the
earlier years of the century and the registration system as  we know it today
did not exist in 1915. FWIW.

That said, the branching on that one on Rodney's page looks postively LA to
me. Never seen anything like it on either a SIB or a JI in this yard. Which
doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Anner Whitehead
HIPSource@aol.com

http://www.onelist.com