HYB: JI X SIB hybrids ...ad infinitum

From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>

I have a couple of questions about Ellen's post....not even sure of what
I'm asking. If the person who registered ROSE QUEEN in 1915 believed it to
be an I. laevigaata, what new evidence prompted it to be re-registered in
1989 as a JI?  And since it's LATEST registration identifies it as a JI,
how can we question its certification/registration?  As I read catalogs,
many JIs are described as having 3 falls or  being small-flowered.   (All I
know about JI's is the degree of difficulty many of us in the Midwest have
experienced in growing them...so humor me, please.)  Are we calling into
question the reliability of AIS registrations or the greater difficulty in
identifying them in order to correctly register them in the first place?
Are beardless irises more problematic in that sense than bearded?  To my
knowledge bearded irises have undergone registration changes primarily due
to growth heighths which I can understand.  Ann Henson

Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
http://www.onelist.com
...and you can WIN $100 to Amazon.com.  See homepage for details.