Re: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids again

From: ernie henson <erni@midwest.net>

At 05:01 PM 7/21/99 EDT, you wrote:
>From: HIPSource@aol.com
>In a message dated 7/21/99 3:12:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>e_galla@moose.ncia.net writes:
><<  I still wish the initial planned crosses would have been made with
>certified (my term for an AIS registered iris) Siberians and Japanese
>NOT just done with those who "looked like" Siberian types and Japanese type
>irises. I know 'Rose Queen' was used but that is a weird registration of a
>Japanese iris. It was registered in 1915 as an I. laevigata  by Lilley. It
>a 3 fall (single) and has the small appearance of a species...it is widely
>grown as a JI and the Society for Japanese Irises re-registered in 1989. >>
>On the other hand, I, who wish it clearly understood that I don't know
>diddlysquat about genetics and have no opinion about these irises under
>consideration, would have thought the best initial cross would have been
>with species clones on both sides. As I understand it, both I. siberica and
>I. sanguinea are involved in modern SIBs and that seems to muddy the waters
>right off the bat.
>Anent ROSE QUEEN: that it is clearly a JI has been asserted with great vigor
>in this forum by Clarence Mahan, and I will add that the foliage does not
>resemble that of an I. laevigata clone. The terms I. laevigata  and I.
>kaempferi (now I. ensata)  were used with a notable lack of precision in the
>earlier years of the century and the registration system as  we know it
>did not exist in 1915. FWIW.
>That said, the branching on that one on Rodney's page looks postively LA to
>me. Never seen anything like it on either a SIB or a JI in this yard. Which
>doesn't necessarily mean anything.
>Anner Whitehead
***********Once more you have anticipated my quandry and answered my query
even before I sailed it out into cyberspace.  That's good enough for me.
Thanks. (I may start looking for a place to stick a Jisibla one of these
years)  Ann Henson>
>ONElist members are using Shared Files in great ways!
>Are you?  If not, see our homepage for details.

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
See homepage for details on ONElist's new "FRIENDS & FAMILY" program.