Re: CULT: New Rhizome Size, Quality, and Care

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 7/17/99 9:41:52 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
HIPSource@aol.com writes:

>  Now I will pass on one little thing that was real useful for me to learn
> when
>  I first started with bearded stuff. If you get odd little scooped out
>  depressions on the surface of the newly planted rhizomes, like a
>  baller at work, it is probably crickets. Just dust some Comet scouring
> powder
>  in the holes and over the surface of the rhizome, and if they persist,
>  is not likely with the Comet there, kick a bit of soil over the top of the
>  rhizome. If you have crickets, and you got in succulent new rhizomes, you
> may
>  well find this damage after planting. Around here rhizome arrival time
>  coincides wonderfully with high cricket density time  and you just have to
>  take some of this mess in stride.

I was told by a good friend that the best deterrent for crickets was to cover
the rhizome with fine sand. This gentleman covers his rhizomes with sand in
the spring while the leaves are still short. Just another way of protecting
your iris from crickets...

							Jim Loveland, Fenton,
MO Zone 5

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.  See homepage.