Cult: Borer reply

From: Gardenhous@aol.com

I have been fighting the good battle too.  I can even snap a large borer in
my fingers saying die devil and not even  get slightly nauseated any more.
I am not sure you have to burn those rzs though if you scrape any rot down to
the hard white expose to sun or cygon dust with comet and replant the iris
should survive to make babies. In fact I find it quite incredible that even
though borer riddled and eaten the rz still sends up babies. But I am a good
scot by nature so I can never throw out much.  I even  hate to thin my
carrots. One year I transplanted the ones  I weeded out.  They were fine.

I have noticed that untouched rzs  and their babies are so much bigger and
healthier than the infected ones.  I did spray with cygon several times ( it
usually rains the next day) and not sur if that gives enough time for
absortion of the cygon or dilutes it or enhances it.  I tried some cedar bark
mulch an adjacent walk ways with out effect apparently. Am putting some
diazinon  in ground with each RZ.  I planted marigolds and onions  amongst
the iris  some bug ate the narigolds till I pepper sprayed them.  How about
pepper spraying the iris leaves so the devil gets indigestion as he munches
down the stalk.

Good Luck   Doreen F. McCabe  westford, MA  warm and hunid perfect borer