CULT: Borers

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> From: Gardenhous@aol.com
How about
> pepper spraying the iris leaves so the devil gets
> indigestion as he munches
> down the stalk.
   Vince sez:
   With your luck, you'd have borers that like Cajun

   I had some clumps several years ago that had borer so
bad that I had to cut off every fan back to uninfected
white rhizome, leaving only a bunch of half-rhizomes with
no increase still in the ground. I didn't dig and replant,
just left the remnants in place. Just sprayed normally the
following year - no special precautions. This clump came
back strong, and I still have it. So you can save varieties
despite borer damage.

Vince Lewonski
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"I love my irises like my children - and if they don't meet my expectations, I chop 'em into little bits and throw them on the mulch pile!!!"