OT: Irises & their Names Sake (was: Re: [iris-photos] Fw: Marie Caillet)

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

(Not really OT, but oh well.)

Ya know something...I think it would be really spiffy to have a regular
feature of the AIS Bulletin where you show a photo of an iris & the person
it's named after, and then give a brief bio of both.  The bio for the
flower would be pretty simple, of course, but the bio for the person would
be loads of fun.

I've seen MARIE CAILLET the flower, but I know very little about Marie
Caillet the person.  And who the heck is/was DOROTHEA K. WILLIAMSON?
BERTHA FABEL?  ELEANOR ROOSEVELT?  No, wait, I do know her.  Hahaha.  Well,
you get my drift.

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen an article like this from any iris
publication, and I can't recall a single one.  But then again I'm lucky if
I can remember my own phone number at times.

I guess you wouldn't even have to limit it to just the AIS bulletin.  All
the sections could do it in their own publications.  Even the regional
newsletters could do articles on irises named for someone in their region.
Then again, the AIS bulletin is in color, which is nice.  Hmmmm.....

There are so many "name's-sake" cultivars out there, you could dedicate an
entire book to the subject.

I'd be happy to write such an article, but I think it would be more
appropriate for people that know (or knew) the person & flower to do it.

Ya know, even an article on GRIZZLED OLD WARRIOR would be a lot of fun too!
Especially since he probably "helped" Sharon hybridize it.  LOL!

>     This is MARIE CAILLET blooming this spring.
>Mark A. Cook
>Dunnellon, Florida.

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
See homepage for details on ONElist's new "FRIENDS & FAMILY" program.