Re: Re: Re: AIS: Awards

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 7/22/99 7:31:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time, lmann@icx.net
writes:

> > Dykes:
>  >         HELLO DARKNESS - lives and blooms here, sometimes blooms hit by
> late freezes
>  > John C. Wister: (Tall Bearded)
>  >         BOOGIE WOOGIE - limps along here, severely stunted stalks, lousy
> survival
>  >         STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN - spectacular growth and bloom
>
>  > 1999 AMs
>  > TB:
>  >         LADY JULIET - killed three different rhizomes - hates my garden
>  >         PACIFIC DESTINY - grows well, but stalks are stunted (late
freezes?
> )

I grow all the above with the exception of "Pacific Destiny" . Would I vote
for these for the DKYES MEDAL? Yes, even though they may lack bud count I
would because they all perform well for me. I believe sometimes we put to
much emphasis on bud count than we do on how an iris performs. The public
could care less if it has 7 buds or 9-11 buds but ask if they care if that
iris grows then listen to the response. I'm not saying throw away the Judges
Manual we need guidlines to go by but use it as a guidline. Remember this,
some individual wrote the guidlines for that particular iris class, it was
his/her opinion. In my honest opinion I would like to see the AIS more
emphasis on touring gardens than iris shows. The club can advertise that the
public is welcome to come on the garden tour. I believe your going to reach
people that are really interested in gardening moreso than at shows. They can
see what classes of iris are available in the actual garden setting instead
of in a bottle. The world continues to move forward but seems to me some of
the clubs or organizations would rather sink than make minor changes. Your
not going to change this at the local level without the national organization
pushing with the help of us telling them this is what we want. We have
ourselves to blame because we don't let our <directors> know how we feel.
Remember they have their own opinion also..nothing wrong with that we all are
allowed our opinions but with our help you can change theirs because they are
in a position that they have to listen. I want to say I ADMIRE ALL THE
OFFICERS and DIRECTORS of the AIS for they spend many many hours running this
organization but with little THANKS. Maybe we should start a THANKYOU
campaign, sending a THANKYOU card to all the officers, directors, & anyone
else that holds a position. What does everyone think? Let me hear your ideas.

					Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO Zone 5