Re: HYB: JI X SIB hybrids

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

	Andy Wheeler wrote:

>    As far a using Rose Queen, I don't feel as though that is problematic,
>it is clearly a Japanese iris, the initial registration problem was a
>taxonomy issue which has clearly been straitened out.

	Since I mentioned this as an aside in my letter re this subject,
	I will quote part of a post I wrote today to a list member which
	speaks to this, I hope:

>I never said that Rose Queen was not a JI and it surely is a single
>(3 fall) looking like a Japanese iris species. To my eye anyway.

>My point in offering my thoughts (muddled and hasty) were:

>I was just (I thought) offering information. (snip - private ramblings)
>..... use at least the recognized identified species:

>series Sibericae (both subseries Sibericae which includes 3 species and
>subseries Chrysographes which inclues 8 species) x series Laevigatae
>(which includes I. ensata as well as I. laevigata, I. pseudacorus,
>I. versicolor and I. virginica).

	The above are just examples of what I was thinking about when
	I wrote my primary post.

>I don't know the history of Rose Queen and Lilley's intro. of it in
>1915 but it surely does fall in the "series" Laevigatae altho it is
>I. ensata not I. laevigata, without a doubt.

Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: