Re: Re: Re: AIS: Awards

From: Gerry Snyder <gcsnyd@loop.com>

IRISROT@aol.com wrote:
> .... I grow all the above with the exception of "Pacific Destiny" . Would I vote
> for these for the DKYES MEDAL? Yes, even though they may lack bud count I
> would because they all perform well for me. I believe sometimes we put to
> much emphasis on bud count than we do on how an iris performs.

Yes and no.

Whenever I hear someone say "I love iris except..." I know that the
continuation is going to be something like "except for the short bloom
season." More buds implies longer bloom season.

Of course, "if it had bloomed it would have a lot of buds" is
reminiscent of Marky Smith's explanation of the iris as a hardy
perennial: A hardy plant is one which lives long enough at the nursery
to get sold. A perennial is a plant which, if it had lived, would haved
bloomed year after year.

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.