Re: Re: OT: Irises & their Names Sake

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

>From: "heather & bernard pryor" <irishaven@pip.com.au>
>Hi Dennis,
>Last year we prepared a series of "collections" for sale and one of them was
>entitled "Girls Night Out" and included the following La. iris:
>It was our most popular collection as many customers just felt great about
>having four nice ladies "chatting" in their garden.  As all four knew each
>other, it kinda made it even nicer!
>Cheers for now,
>Heather Pryor

Heather, that is a really clever idea!  Now it would have been even nicer
if each one was autographed too.  LOL!

Of those 4 ladies' names, I only know yours.  If the other ladies are
active in the iris world, such as hybridizing, or helping run iris
organizations Down Under, etc., it would be a lot of fun getting to know
the ladies as well as their flowers.

I imagine there must be hundreds of irises in commerce that bear the names
of people.  And it would be wonderful to learn about each one of them.

A particular favorite of mine is DOROTHEA K. WILLIAMSON...a widely grown
very cold hardy LA, good for the northern regions.   But since that was
registered back in 1918, there might not be any photos of Dorothea (the
person).  Still, it would be nice to learn a little something about her.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.  See homepage.