OT: Irises & Their Names Sake

From: Sharon McAllister <73372.1745@compuserve.com>

Message text written by Dennis Kramb:
>>No.  The cross was made before he was born -- but he DID help select it
>>because his fur set the standard for "black" beards.

>LOL!  Now how scientific is that!!  :)

>Instead of the RHS color chart codes, are we going to start seeing "G.O.W.
black" in your registration descriptions?  <G!><

Well, I still PREFER the RHS Color Charts when they apply.  But in this
case, 202A is a very close match under artificial light while 103A is quite
close in deep shade -- but there's nothing that comes near to the
black-with-reddish-highlights that the bright sun brings out.  I'd have to
dig out my currently inaccessible records, but I think that I settled for
"near-black" in the registration.

When I started breeding for black beards, I was extremely disappointed in
many of the cultivars I obtained for use as foundation stock.  Although
registered as having "black" beards, when they bloomed the beard was
inevitably merely brown or burgundy.  Lighter than many I'd discarded as
not black enough.  Now I like chocolate brown beards and deep burgundy
ones, too -- but not when I'm expecting BLACK!

So a desirable black is the color of the cat's fur and a good brown is that
of Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate.  'Cause THAT isn't in the RHS charts,

Sharon McAlister

Congratulations to RON MARTINO
To join ONElist's Friends & Family program, go to http://www.onelist.com