Re: PHOTO: irises & more! Spider Lilies

From: "wmoores" <wmoores@watervalley.net>

On 24 Jul 99, at 12:11, Dennis Kramb wrote:

> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
> The folks on the LAiris list have been talking about Hymenocallis.  Well,
> I didn't know what they were so I decided to search the net for some
> photos. I found a way-cool site that I just had to share with y'all.
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
> -
> Dennis, you would have a field day in the spring in South Louisiana.  The
Western Spider Lily is everywhere....fields, bar ditches, swamps.
It is like a wild flower there and blooms with the LA's.

	There is a similar spider lily circulating under the name
Peruvian Daffodil, which does not bloom until late June and early
July here so you have have essentially the same bloom in two
distinct seasons.

	Ismene is another name for these, and there is a pale yellow
one available, too.  It seems to be temperamental here as it did not
bloom this year though the plants seem healthy.  It blooms with
the Peruvian daffs's.

	I wonder how far north these can grow without having to be dug
and stored over the winter.  Amaryllis can also grow outdoors here
and be left in the ground over winter.  They bloom with the TB's.
> Walter Moores
   Enid Lake, MS 7/8

ONElist users:  YOU can win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon.com.
Check out the FRIENDS & FAMILY program to find out how.  See homepage.