OT-Plants: Spider Lilies

From: "Mark Cook" <billc@atlantic.net>

> > Dennis, you would have a field day in the spring in South Louisiana.
> Western Spider Lily is everywhere....fields, bar ditches, swamps.
> It is like a wild flower there and blooms with the LA's.

     There is some type of Hymenocallis that grows wild in this area,
however I also find alligators in that habitat.  I don't want to get too
close to those darn things.

> I wonder how far north these can grow without having to be dug
> and stored over the winter.  Amaryllis can also grow outdoors here
> and be left in the ground over winter.  They bloom with the TB's.

     Both Peruvian Daffodil and Amaryllis [Hippeastrum] can be grown
outdoors here.  Both have bloomed nicely this spring.

Mark A. Cook
Dunnellon, Florida.

Your anytime, anywhere sports store. Fogdog Sports.