Re: CAT: Club Sales

From: JEM300@aol.com

In a message dated 7/25/99 8:00:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
wmoores@watervalley.net writes:

<< Do you wash your plants?  We do.

 	I just got some plants from a nearby club's sale and they didn't
 wash any of them.  What a mess!  Our product should be in its
 'best dress' when we offer it.>>

Oh, absolutely!!  We have ours washed and trimmed as irises would be in a
commercial order.  I also have been to sales that have sold "dirty" irises.
Very unappetizing.  I will NEVER purchase iris that look like this!
Marketing is key and a few minutes washing and trimming makes all the
difference.  Fans should be trimmed down into a nice neat "v" shape.  This
eliminates browning edges and tips and usually any leaf spot if it is present.

Oh and by the way....if the rhizomes are TINY...leave them home....!!!  (My
pet peeve is people donating rzs to the sale that are so tiny it would be
years before they would consider blooming)  Lest we forget....a local sale is
to encourage new members and interest in growing our favorite flower.
Nothing turns a potential iris grower or clubmember off more than purchasing
rzs that don't bloom the following spring...or the one after that!!  I bring
good healthy bloom size rzs and mine get snapped up immediately.

Linda Doffek
West Bend, WI  Zone 5

Create a list for FRIENDS & FAMILY...
http://www.onelist.com
...and you can WIN $100 to Amazon.com.  See homepage for details.