Re: CAT: Club Sales

From: "Glenn Simmons" <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Sent: Sunday, July 25, 1999 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CAT: Club Sales

> From: Judyhunt1@aol.com
>
> Walter, we have asked our members donating rhizomes to please wash them in
> 10% chlorine bleach solution.  We tell them that this not only cleans the
> dirt, but might prevent transferring any little critters, seen or unseen,
> the garden of the purchaser.  Most of our members honor our request, but
> there are always a few... My guess is that most "old-hand" irisarians
follow
> this practice whenever any rhizome leaves their premises, and I also
imagine
> that most give this treatment to those coming in from non-commercial
sources.

> Judy Hunt in Louisville, KY

What you have mentioned above Judy about washing the iris in a bleach
solution is important and I hope by this being discussed here on Iris Talk
that new comers to iris will learn things that Linda and I had to learn the
hard way.  Because of us bringing unwanted things into our garden on
rhizomes from non commercial sources we learned that no rhizome (no matter
the source) is brought into our garden without first being treated for at
least 30 minutes in a 10% bleach / water solution.  This is a very good
practice that all iris gardeners should do at all times.  Not one single
iris rhizome leaves our garden without first being treated with the bleach
solution and a fungicide solution.  Linda and I have just made this a normal
practice for any iris that leaves our garden or comes into it.  We don't
want to bring any unwanted pest or disease into our garden and we want to do
all we can to insure we do not pass anything on to someone else.

By bringing this type of knowledge out in the open (things that most of us
probably just take for granted and don't give it a second thought) all the
people new to iris growing will learn and that is really what Iris Talk is
all about, learning and sharing.  I'm really glad to see things like this
being discussed.

Glenn

Glenn & Linda Simmons
mailto:glsimmon@swbell.net
         or
mailto:GlennSimmons@netscape.net

You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
http://www.onelist.com
Weekly drawing is held each Friday.  See homepage for details!