Re: CAT: Club Sales

From: IRISROT@aol.com

In a message dated 7/25/99 11:07:39 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
glsimmon@swbell.net writes:

>  What you have mentioned above Judy about washing the iris in a bleach
>  solution is important and I hope by this being discussed here on Iris Talk
>  that new comers to iris will learn things that Linda and I had to learn the
>  hard way.  Because of us bringing unwanted things into our garden on
>  rhizomes from non commercial sources we learned that no rhizome (no matter
>  the source) is brought into our garden without first being treated for at
>  least 30 minutes in a 10% bleach / water solution.  This is a very good
>  practice that all iris gardeners should do at all times.  Not one single
>  iris rhizome leaves our garden without first being treated with the bleach
>  solution and a fungicide solution.  Linda and I have just made this a
>  practice for any iris that leaves our garden or comes into it.  We don't
>  want to bring any unwanted pest or disease into our garden and we want to
>  all we can to insure we do not pass anything on to someone else.
>  By bringing this type of knowledge out in the open (things that most of us
>  probably just take for granted and don't give it a second thought) all the
>  people new to iris growing will learn and that is really what Iris Talk is
>  all about, learning and sharing.  I'm really glad to see things like this
>  being discussed.
Hi All,

I personally don't sanitize my iris but I advise all that purchase iris to do
this before they plant. I do this even to orders from the large growers
something I just automatic do when I receive the order. I figure this way I'm
not likely to put something in my garden that is infected with some disease
that could destroy lot of my iris or even contaminate the soil for a year or
more. I think all info we put out to the public should have this precaution
added. Only my opinion...
						Jim Loveland, Fenton, MO Zone

Enter ONElistís WEEKLY DRAWING for $100!
By joining the FRIENDS & FAMILY PROGRAM.  See homepage for details.