Re: MED: Companion perennials

From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>

> From: Karen Jellum
> My order of medians will be coming in several weeks.  What are some
> perennials to plant with medians?  Because of watering requirements, I do
> not wish to mix annuals with the median iris and many of the perennials I
> can think of are perhaps to tall to be immediately back of the medians.
Any
> suggestions would be welcome.

Karen,

Aquilegia (Columbines) have been mentioned on this list as suitable
companions for irises. Perhaps some of the more compact, semi-dwarf
strains, such as "Biedermeier", or species, such as the Japanese Fan
Columbine (A. flabellata), would be most appropriate with medians. Other
possibilities that come to mind are Iceland poppies, the Clustered
Bellflower (Campanula glomerata), perennial cornflowers (Centaurea montana
and C. dealbata), Chinese Delphiniums, and Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'. Some of
these should bloom at the same time as the irises and others should provide
later season interest. I believe all of there rated hardy to Zone 3. They
have all proven persistent here except for Iceland poppies.

jcwalters@bridgernet.com

http://www.onelist.com