Re: CAT: Club Sales

From: Dana Brown <ddbro@llano.net>

I must admit that I don't wash my iris before donating them to the
sale.  We do trim them, tops and bottoms and clean the majority of the
dirt out of the roots.  We dug, labeled, trimmed and delivered over 1600
rz to the sale this year and if we had stopped to wash them it would
never have happened.  Like Jim we tell all buyers that it is a good idea
to soak their new rz in a 10% bleach solution for 1/2 hour or so before
planting just as we do with everything, including our own.  No-one seems
to mind this, but then again, our sale facility has a restroom where
they could wash up if this was desired.  It has been my experience that
these rz are no dirtier than bringing home a plant in a six pack from
the nursery and we furnish shopping bags to keep the rz in on the way
home.  I must admit we didn't sell out this year but we had over 2000 rz
to sale and there were several other things scheduled here in town this
weekend.  Our leftovers will be distributed to our club members at our
next meeting (tomorrow night).
Dana Brown
Pres. South Plains Iris Society
Lubbock, Texas  79401
Zone 7 Usda, Zone 10 Sunset

ONElist:  your connection to like-minds and kindred spirits.