HIST: Magazine article

From: Karen Jellum <7kjellum@3rivers.net>

The summer 1999 issue of Woman's Day Gardening and Outdoor Living magazine
has an interesting article called "History in Bloom."  It talks about the
Fitch Garden at Old Sturbridge Village, the John Blair Garden at Colonial
Williamsburg, and the Jekyll Garden at the Glebe House Museum.

The Jekyll Garden (there are some iris) interested me the most.  The
historic Glebe House was built in about 1750 in Woodbury, Connecticut, and
is the birthplace of the Episcopal Church of America.  What is interesting
is that when it became a museum in 1925, one of the members commissioned
Gertrude Jekyll to design "An old-fashioned garden."  For some reason the
garden was not done but sixty years later the plan was found and executed in
1991.  The article has a plan with the plants listed for each of the
gardens.  The Jekyll one for spring has Iris germanica var. florentina, Iris
pallida, and a Blue iris (unknown cultivar).  I think it would be great if
one of the list people would visit and identify it next spring.  They only
give a sketch for one of the perennial borders so there may actually be more
iris involved at Glebe House.

Also, they list garden sources.  Has anyone used Old House Gardens catalog
in Ann Arbor, MI.   The article does not mention which of the sources sells
iris.  I have seen them advertised as a source for older bulbs.

Karen in Montana  who will probably never see any of these places except in
the magazines

http://www.onelist.com