RE: MED: Companion perennials

From: "Mark, Maureen" <MARKM@tc.gc.ca>

I would add to Jeff's list.  I have Aquilegia flabellata, a purple miniature
columbine with the medians.  Other perennials in the same bed are hardy
geraniums, heuchera, astilbe, sedum, asters and hostas.  I will be moving
some short lilies and Campanula glomerata to this bed this year.

Maureen Mark
Ottawa, Canada (zone 4)

> From: "Jeff and Carolyn Walters" <jcwalters@bridgernet.com>
> > From: Karen Jellum
> > My order of medians will be coming in several weeks.  What are some
> > perennials to plant with medians?  Because of watering requirements, I
> do
> > not wish to mix annuals with the median iris and many of the perennials
> > can think of are perhaps to tall to be immediately back of the medians.
> Any
> > suggestions would be welcome.
> Karen,
> Aquilegia (Columbines) have been mentioned on this list as suitable
> companions for irises. Perhaps some of the more compact, semi-dwarf
> strains, such as "Biedermeier", or species, such as the Japanese Fan
> Columbine (A. flabellata), would be most appropriate with medians. Other
> possibilities that come to mind are Iceland poppies, the Clustered
> Bellflower (Campanula glomerata), perennial cornflowers (Centaurea montana
> and C. dealbata), Chinese Delphiniums, and Rudbeckia 'Goldsturm'. Some of
> these should bloom at the same time as the irises and others should
> provide
> later season interest. I believe all of there rated hardy to Zone 3. They
> have all proven persistent here except for Iceland poppies.
> Jeff Walters in northern Utah  (USDA Zone 4/5, Sunset Zone 2)
> jcwalters@bridgernet.com
> Having difficulty getting "in synch" with list members?
> http://www.onelist.com
> Try ONElist's Shared Calendar to organize events, meetings and more!

Congrats to GROW TO GIVE winners, ZENtertainment & ROTInews!
Check out ONElistís new program, FRIENDS & FAMILY.  See homepage.