RE: MED: Companion perennials

From: Ellen Gallagher <e_galla@moose.ncia.net>

>From:  Karen Jellum
>What are some
>perennials to plant with medians?  Because of watering requirements, I do
>not wish to mix annuals with the median iris.

	I have lilium planted throughout my garden beds which are heavy
	on bearded and beardless irises. Species lilies tend to be smaller
	(I. concolor is one of my favorites) and it is blooming now in
	a bed that has seen bearded irises (all classes) and Siberians
	and also early on, I. reticulata, blooming as well as daffodils.
	This is a rather large bed and is a front display garden..or is
	supposed to be. ;)

	These are all doing well in Zone 3...herbaceous peonies spread
	slowly in our cold zone and look great with irises, I think.

	I also have daylilies that I water in these raised beds and I
	also selctively water Siberians and a few Japanese that are planted
	in the 'gulley' at the edge of the raised bed. I also have lovely
	Veronica "Sunny Border" and some heuchera interspersed with the
	irises. I also like astilbe but you have to watch them carefully
	since they can get out of hand. Some varieties do well in full
	sun..others prefer the semi-shade. I have some poppies (I am
	not versed in papaver, sorry) that are orange and late blooming
	and very striking and they haven't spread. As a matter of fact,
	I am collecting seed and trying to expand this variety since it
	is such an eye catcher.

	Rudbeckia is also lovely in the mixed border and is not a water
	glutton and I have several stands.

	I scattered some annual seed, notably Bachelor's buttons,
	in some of these same beds, etc. There is always something
	blooming - if that is your goal as it is mine.

	Ellen (gardens soaking up three days of rain...)
Ellen Gallagher    /     e_galla@ncia.net
Northern New Hampshire, USA   /   Zone  3
Berlin, NH    in   'The Great North Woods'
To subscribe to Siberian iris e-mail robin:

To view the Siberian iris archives:

Society for Siberian Irises web page: