CAT: The Great Unknown

From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

> From: Tmilchh@aol.com
>
> Dear Vince,
>      Do you sell unknowns?    We don't, but I wish we
> did, I have lots to
> donate. Perhaps we could get only $1 for an unknown of a
> particular color,
> but no name. We could still sell a lot and increase our
> income. I'm probablly
> going to bring some unknowns to sell anyway. I have this
> big red (2 tone
> Burgundy) with tons of rhizomes that I need to get rid
> of. I'll probablly be
> overruled, but I intend to try anyway.
>     Annette Milch  Lexington, KY   zone 5/6
> TMilchh@aol.com
> Where it is way too hot to dig, but I am out there
> digging in my bathing
> suit, with water to pour over me.

   We don't sell any unnamed iris, but sometimes people
(including me) have brought unknowns in as freebees. I only
have a few unknowns (the result of questionable catalog or
Frank's purchases that turned out to be mismarked). Most of
these I have gotten rid of, but there are some that are
such good growers that I keep them. I decided not to bring
them to the sale this year, on the theory that people would
load up on them rather than buy something. We generally
have an excess of rhizomes to sell.
   There was a "free" box at one sale, which mostly
consisted of very small, but named rhizomes that should
never have been brought. There were three people that
rummaged through there and must have taken out 50 free
rhizomes each. It was like the barbarians sacking Rome...

===
Vince Lewonski
vincelewonski@yahoo.com
Secane, PA  Zone 6

"Here come Ol' Flattop!"

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.