Re: Cult: sibs vs spuria

From: Irisborer@aol.com

In a message dated 7/26/99 4:02:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Gardenhous@aol.com writes:

<< Help.  Which do I have siberian or spuria many narrow green leaves, tall 3
 feet, yellow slender  blossom,, apogon.  And whichever filled with
 borer!!!!!!!  Doreen McCabe >>

Hi Doreen....

I would guess:  d)  None of the above.

I would suggest that you have pseudacorus, aka  Borer Hotel.  Irisborer just
find pseudacorus yummy (as you've learned), and might even be a good
sacrificial plant to centralize them.

Pseudacorus can also tolerate such an invasion better than most irises.  My
advice is to either dump the entire thing... or if you have the stomach for
it.... select some non-affected rhizomes and pitch the rest.  You might try
soaking them in a weak bleach solution - this may force out the borer.

It's important to remember that iris borer is a PEST, not a disease.  When
you physically remove the vermin, there is no reason to discard healthy
rhizomes.  A bad infestation of borer may leave your irises vulnerable to
disease... but if there is healthy tissue, it's fine to replant it.

Also, it's important to remember that there is little point sloshing
chemicals around at this point....  Cygon will be effective next spring, but
the lifecycle of the critter is such that they're about to retire on a full
stomach and will not trouble you again till next April.

Kathy Guest in E. Aurora, NY who has tales to tell of an out-of-season visit
to Joe Pye Weed's (garden of Shafer/Sachs) this weekend