Re: bleach solution discussion

From: "Glenn Simmons" <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Sent: Monday, July 26, 1999 9:26 PM
Subject: [iris-talk] bleach solution discussion

> From: Doug Berry <dberry@marin.k12.ca.us>
> I am new to this iris talk group and have been reading many messages about
> washing rhizomes in a ten percent bleach solution to clean out bugs etc.
> it make sense for me to clean the new rhizomes when I dig up and divide my
> Iris?  Mine are about three years old and have four or five new rhizomes
> off the main one.  When you wash them do you protect the part that has
> broken off the main rhizome?  Thanks for your advice

Hello Doug,

When we apply a 10% bleach solution to our rhzs are in the following

1. New iris coming into our garden.
2. When we dig iris to sell or donate for the iris society sale, in other
words any iris leaving our property.
3. If we find any indication of rot or insect infestation on iris growing in
our garden.
4. If when digging, separating and replanting our beds we have to cut a rhz
leaving an open wound then we
    treat the cut rhz with the bleach solution.

This is all I can think of right now Doug, I don't believe there is any
other time we apply the bleach solution unless I am over looking something.
When we make the 10% solution what we do is pour the mixed solution into a
bucket then set the rhzs in the solution and we let them sit there for a
minimum of 30 minutes.  You want the liquid in the bucket to be fairly
shallow, just deep enough to cover the rhzs.  You do not want to treat the
fans with this solution.  If you have trimmed the fans to a nice inverted
"V" that will leave an opening at the cut where the 10% solution can get
inside the fan and if it does it will burn the fan and it will die.  This
will not really hurt the iris to my knowledge but it does make it look bad
and if you don't know what is happening you will think something drastic is
happening to your plants!  :)  Does this sound like someone who has done
this?  Well I have and I didn't know what was happening to my beautiful

Have a good day.

Glenn & Linda Simmons