Re: CULT: Roundup Conditions

At 10:00 PM 7/27/99 -0600, you wrote:
>From: "Char Randall" <charandmike@email.msn.com>
The more
>iris I plant, the harder hand weeding is...so considering chemical help. But
>you're right, it is very controversial and I knew there had to have been
>prior discussions. Thanks again for taking time to respond.
>Char Randall
>Melba, ID

Dear Char -
I've come to the same conclusion. I use Surflan pre-emergent to good effect on some beds. I use Poast grass killer primarily to kill off the grass before tilling up a new bed, but in normally weeded beds the grass explosion in mid-July looks awful, but is easy to jerk out if you get at it within a couple of weeks.
My sole insecticide is soapy water in a spray bottle while weeding. Next year I plan to add an anti-fungual.
The effect of these chemicals is minimal, from what I can see. Poast needs to be put down just before a quarter to a half inch of rain, but how do you know what you'll get? When you need it most there won't be a cloud in the sky - trust me.
The sad conclusion is that there will be no letup in hand weeding, because even if chemicals were terribly effective, I would just spend the time gained in adding more beds.
Some of us are born to be empire builders, and we never know when to stop until we are overwhelmed, or hire extra help.

James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN
Persimmon Katz
{ o o }