Re: CULT: Bleach

From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>

> > From: "Glenn Simmons" <glsimmon@swbell.net>
> >
> > When we make the 10% solution what we do is pour the
> > mixed solution into a
> > bucket then set the rhzs in the solution and we let them
> > sit there for a
> > minimum of 30 minutes.  You want the liquid in the bucket
> > to be fairly
> > shallow, just deep enough to cover the rhzs.  You do not
> > want to treat the
> > fans with this solution. If you have trimmed the fans to
> > a nice inverted
> > "V" that will leave an opening at the cut where the 10%
> > solution can get
> > inside the fan and if it does it will burn the fan and it
> > will die.

> From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>

>    Some people recommend leaving the rhizomes in the bleach
> for no more than 5 minutes. Some rinse off the bleach
> solution with fresh water. Any opinions???

Speaking from my experience, I have never heard of the problem Glenn reports.

I routinely dip the entire rz and fan into the bleach solution, and have left
them there for as long as an hour (typically 1/2 hour). I often put a brick on
top to make sure that the entire fan *is* submerged. I have never lost a rz
from this process. Disease from other gardens can come in as easily on dirt
hidden in the crook of the fan and on the leaves themselves as on the rz
proper. You want to submerge the whole thing.

Definitely do a double bucket clear water rinse after the soaking.

I don't know what was happening with Glenn's fans, but I submit that something
else was going on. After soaking, I plant my rzs immediately because the water
soak will trigger the growth of roots, and I want them in soil within 24
hours. Once in the ground, after 7-10 days, I typically see signs of new
growth - fan widening or splitting, center fan starting to grow taller than
the edge leaves and brand new leaves emerging. Certainly in time the older
trimmed leaves die off but by that time there is lots os new growth.

Then winter comes and the new growth slows and stays short, and the summer
leaves die back, and everything waits for the return to the longer days of spring.

But then this is California.

USDA zone 8/9 (coastal, bay)
Fremont, California, USA
Visit my website at: