Re: CULT: Bleach

From: "Glenn Simmons" <glsimmon@swbell.net>

Subject: Re: [iris-talk] CULT: Bleach

> From: John I Jones <jijones@ix.netcom.com>
> > From: vince lewonski <vincelewonski@yahoo.com>
> >    Some people recommend leaving the rhizomes in the bleach
> > for no more than 5 minutes. Some rinse off the bleach
> > solution with fresh water. Any opinions???
> >
> Speaking from my experience, I have never heard of the problem Glenn
> I routinely dip the entire rz and fan into the bleach solution, and have
> them there for as long as an hour (typically 1/2 hour). I often put a
brick on
> top to make sure that the entire fan *is* submerged. I have never lost a
> from this process. Disease from other gardens can come in as easily on
> hidden in the crook of the fan and on the leaves themselves as on the rz
> proper. You want to submerge the whole thing.
> Definitely do a double bucket clear water rinse after the soaking.
> I don't know what was happening with Glenn's fans, but I submit that
> else was going on. After soaking, I plant my rzs immediately because the
> soak will trigger the growth of roots, and I want them in soil within 24
> hours. Once in the ground, after 7-10 days, I typically see signs of new
> growth - fan widening or splitting, center fan starting to grow taller
> the edge leaves and brand new leaves emerging. Certainly in time the older
> trimmed leaves die off but by that time there is lots os new growth.
> Then winter comes and the new growth slows and stays short, and the summer
> leaves die back, and everything waits for the return to the longer days of
> But then this is California.
> John

Yea Vince, you are pretty much right on this, I've been told various lengths
of time.  Anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days!  Chlorine, which
is what the bleach is, should kill any bacteria or fungus it comes in
contact with pretty quickly.

John, last year Linda and I thought if the bleach solution kills bacteria
and such on the rhz then it should do an excellent job on the fans too.  We
submerged our entire plants last year (after we trimmed the fans) and a few
days later we noticed how the fans were looking like they were burned and
the fans started dying.  We had another iris grower come over and look our
plants over and we were told that the bleach by getting inside the fan was
the cause of our problem.  No harm was actually done to the plants they just
looked very bad.  New fans started growing and soon the burned looking ones
were replaced.  We were told that if we had not trimmed the fans first then
submerging the iris would have caused no ill effects to the fans.  So we
have stopped doing this and have not seen this problem reoccur.

If anyone else out there knows this (bleach inside the fans) not to be the
case I would love to hear about it.  The iris plants we had last year
recovered quickly and put on all kinds of new growth before winter set in.

Glenn & Linda Simmons

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1