Re: TB: corkscrew foliage

From: Chris Darlington <chris.darlington@sympatico.ca>

Babbling Brook, as well as a historic unknown that I grow are corkscrew
growers and I've always wondered why.  I  like this characteristic of
growth and have noticed that they are also the most vigorous of growers
out of the few TBs that I have at the moment.  Both cultivars also have
horizontal ribs starting at the last 3/4 of the fans which not all of my
irises have.  Just an observation...

Dennis Kramb wrote:
> From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>
> Last year I acquired several unknown historic TB's from my neighbor.  I got
> one start of each, and they were all quite small (probably because she
> grows them in a shady area in her yard).
> Anyhoo...only 2 of them bloomed this year.  One of the ones that did NOT
> bloom this year is turning into a monster.  It has very tall, very wide
> leaves.  But the most peculiar thing about it is the corkscrew foliage it
> has.
> Almost every leaf makes a 180 degree twist from the base to tip.  Some go
> 360 degrees (looks like a double twist). I've never seen an iris do this
> before.  I wonder if it's a genetic thing or if the iris is stressed out
> somehow?
> It could be a fun thing to hybridize for.  I can see it now......a
> variegated, space age, broken color, reblooming, corkscrew, TB iris! <grin!>
> Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com
> Cincinnati, Ohio USA; USDA Zone 6; AIS Region 6
> member of AIS, ASI, HIPS, SIGNA, SLI, & Miami Valley Iris Society
> primary interests: ABs, REBs, LAs, Native SPEC and SPEC-X hybrids
> (my gardening URL:  http://www.badbear.com/dkramb/home.html)
> Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
> http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
> With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
       NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9 percent FIXED APR.
Apply online today!                http://www.onelist.com/ad/nextcard1