HYB: Thornbird

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

With about 95% of my seed pods harvested so far this season, I sure had a
shock tonight when I picked a pod off of Thornbird that had 92 mature seeds
in it!  It was from a cross between THORNBIRD x DESTRY RIDES AGAIN.

Prior to tonight, my biggest pod had about 59 seeds, with about a dozen
other pods in the neighborhood of 55 seeds.

Now I know 92 is far from the "world's record", but it got this rookie
pollen dauber all excited!

On a side note, I've been really intrigued how some pods seem HUGE but when
I open them up they contain few seeds.  Instead, their enormous size comes
from very thick pod walls.  Go figure.

Dennis Kramb; dkramb@badbear.com

ONElist:  your connection to people who share your interests.