Re: HYB: Thornbird

From: Randy Squires <randysiris@juno.com>

From: Dennis Kramb <dkramb@badbear.com>

With about 95% of my seed pods harvested so far this season, I sure had a
shock tonight when I picked a pod off of Thornbird that had 92 mature
in it!  It was from a cross between THORNBIRD x DESTRY RIDES AGAIN.
Prior to tonight, my biggest pod had about 59 seeds, with about a dozen
other pods in the neighborhood of 55 seeds.
Now I know 92 is far from the "world's record", but it got this rookie
pollen dauber all excited!

Hi Dennis,

Way to go, looks like you were busy this spring making crosses.

 After reading this I had to go count seeds from one large pod
Thornbird X (Guadalajara x Triple Whammy)  96 seeds.
I consider 50 seeds a large pod, average is around 30 seeds for me.

Don't give up on pods with 1-10 seeds, some people say these are
the best, giving unusual or breakthrough colors,even though I find
that seeds from large pods are the most vigorous with high
germination and strong growers from the get go.
I've heard that Shipshape (Dykes Medal Winner '74) came from a
pod with only 1 seed, so you never know.

SFVIS Region 15
Southern CA.

Start a new ONElist list & you can WIN great prizes!
For details on ONElistís NEW FRIENDS & FAMILY program, go to